It has been two weeks since I began my Whole30 journey. I have to admit, I’ve been surprised at how quickly time is passing. I thought for sure that enduring weeks without sugar and processed foods would drag on forever. If you’re just joining in today, you can get caught up to speed on my journey so far by clicking the links below. Go ahead… I’ll wait ;)
Alright, now let’s get on to the good stuff!
WHOLE30 WEEK 2:
THE “I NEED A NAP” WEEK
According to the Whole30 Timeline, days 6-7 are supposed to be the “I just want a nap” phase:
So what’s the deal?! Isn’t eating like this supposed to increase energy levels? Yes…in the long run. Right now, your body is learning that it can’t rely on all those easy access energy sources it used to know and love. Gone are the days of cinnamon crunch muffins and Frappuccinos. Now your body is learning to efficiently burn fat and protein as its fuel sources, and that takes more effort – and some time. If you can hold out just a bit longer, you’ll definitely reap the benefits. (Besides, you could probably use a day off from the gym anyway, right?) Read more here
For me however, it has been this whole past week! I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I also started running again which just added to my overall exhaustion level.
Speaking of running, I’ve been sticking to the Couch to 5K program and easing myself back into it. I quickly found that not running for a few years and then trying to jump right back into it was not going to work. The 5K Runner: 0 to 5K Trainer5K Runner: 0 to 5K Trainer app has been my best friend for the last couple of weeks.
Of course, I started a C25K log in my bullet journal:
In order to progress a tiny bit faster, I decided to run every other day vs. the traditional 3 times per week. This cuts my time down from 56 to 48 days until I’m consistently running 3.1 miles :)
Despite the level of exhaustion I felt last week, I’m feeling amazing! The tiredness I have felt just means that I’m on track and I know that “boundless energy” is just around the corner.
WHAT I ATE THIS WEEK
So, remember how last week I said that I didn’t have a very large variety of foods to eat? Well, this week was even less! I stuck to super-simple to prepare dishes that I could cook in bulk. This made Week 2 a breeze! I cooked enough at one time to have leftovers for the next couple of days.
Doing it this way helped me to not really have to think much about what I was eating all the time.
My Favorite Recipe of the Week:
Ground Lamb & Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 lb. Ground Lamb
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Bell Peppers, chopped (I used orange and yellow peppers)
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 can (15oz.) Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 cups Beef Stock (I make my own as most store-bought brands are not W30 compliant)
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Tapioca Flour (to thicken the stew)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until soft, then add the ground lamb. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin & salt then cook about 1 minute or until the spices are fragrant. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, peppers and sweet potatoes. Cover with stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the tapioca flour with a bit of water and stir it in to the stew. Simmer for 1-2 minutes more and the stew will thicken up nicely. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice & serve.
MY TAKEAWAYS FROM WEEK 2:
The further I get into this Whole30 challenge, the more I realize that keeping it simple is the best way to succeed. You may be tempted to go out and but ALL of the veggies so that you have a nice variety. But it really is much easier if you stick to a few that you truly love and can whip up in a heartbeat.
Staying away from the scale (one of the main rules of the Whole30 program) has become increasingly difficult as the days go on. I have already noticed a change in the way my clothes are fitting. I’ve noticed that my little love handles are slimming down as well. Although weight loss is not my main goal here, I am still looking forward to measuring my results on day 30. :)
Are you on a Whole30 journey as well? I’d love to hear how it’s going for you, so let me know in the comments below!
JOIN THE BOHO BERRY TRIBE
- Access to the Tribe Resource Library, chock full of FREE printables. New printables added every two weeks!
- Admission into the Tribe Facebook Group, where we support and encourage each other daily.
- An invite to my monthly Live Q&A exclusive to Tribe Members!
- A 10% off coupon for Boho Berry Paperie for each month that you remain a Tribe Member.
You will also receive the Boho Berry Newsletter every Friday -- chock full of motivation, inspiration, updates and more!
Kara Benz is the artist and author behind Boho Berry, where she inspires her readers to lead a more centered, fulfilled, and inspired life. Kara also runs a successful sticker shop on Etsy – Boho Berry Paperie.