There are two questions I get asked over and over again. One – What kind of pens do I use? And Two – How do you practice your handwriting? I’ll be thoroughly answering both of those questions today, so grab yourself a cup of joe and let’s get to it!
I started on my journey into improving my handwriting about the same time that I started Bullet Journaling. There was something about writing in a notebook every day that just spurred my creativity. It made me long for prettier cursive to use in my headers, and I also felt that such an important part of my life deserved a little love and attention.
Here’s a little glimpse into what my cursive looked like back in August. (You can click on the image to enlarge it) Now granted, it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t up to par for me. I wanted that really cool, super-even, deliciously slanty kind of cursive! (Let’s not even talk about my wretched print handwriting).
So, I went off in search of a way to improve. I quickly found myself wandering the halls of /r/handwriting on Reddit and immersed myself into all of the resources they had there.
Of course, the fine folks over there kept talking about their fountain pens, which lead me to /r/fountainpens next. I was instantly smitten and by November I had ordered my very first fountain pen.
This is when I started taking my handwriting practice very seriously. The rest, so they say, is history.
* This post contains affiliate links. In plain English, this means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. You will never see me post a link to a product or service that I haven’t used myself and love! (Learn more here)
MY HANDWRITING SUPPLIES:
Before I show you my list, let me first say that the only thing you need to practice your handwriting is a pen and a piece of paper. Yes, any pen and paper will do. The supplies that I mention here are just my preferred tools, and are in no way necessary for your to begin improving your own handwriting.
>> My Favorite Pens:
– Pilot Metropolitan (Fine & Medium Nib)
– Visconti Van Gogh – Irises (Fine Nib)
– TWSBI 580 – Rose Gold (Extra Fine Nib)
* the rose gold is discontinued :(
– Faber Castell PITT Artist Pens (F & S)
* these are my go-to pens for use in my
Bullet Journal, too!
>> Other Supplies:
– Rhodia Dot Pad (8.5 x 12.5)
* I use this for my daily writing practice. I always fill up at least a page a day :)
– Spencerian Penmanship Books
* Seriously, these books are amazing!
– Sketch Pads
– My trusty Bullet Journal
* because could there be any better way to practice your handwriting?
HOW I PRACTICE MY HANDWRITING:
Ok, get ready y’all. I’m about to drop a bomb on you! How do I practice my handwriting?
I just write.
Yup, you heard me right. I know you’re thinking that surely it must be more complicated than that but it really isn’t. Every day, I sit down and fill up at least one page in my Rhodia dot pad.
Some days it’s a poem. Some days it’s the lyrics to a song that I love. Some days I write down all of the Buddha quotes that make me feel all good inside. Some days it’s random words repeated ad nauseam. Heck, sometimes I even copy down entire historical speeches!
The bottom line is: I just write.
I’ve even started writing long-winded letters to pen pals from the USA, the UK, the Netherlands, and Australia. On those days I don’t really bother with handwriting practice sheets because my hands are so tired, but it’s still practice, right?
>> Check out my full walkthrough on YouTube below!
>> Got a hankering’ to practice some of my handwriting letters?
I created a new printable version of my entire alphabet! You can print it for reference, and there is even a lighter grey version included that you can use to trace and practice on your own!
To access the printable, simply click the image below to become a Boho Berry Tribe Member. You’ll get access to this and ALL of my other free printables in the FREE Tribe Resource Library :)
Already a Tribe Member? Check your inbox for your exclusive password! ;)
JOIN THE BOHO BERRY TRIBE
- Access to the Tribe Resource Library, chock full of FREE printables. New printables added every two weeks!
- Admission into the Tribe Facebook Group, where we support and encourage each other daily.
- An invite to my monthly Live Q&A exclusive to Tribe Members!
- A 10% off coupon for Boho Berry Paperie for each month that you remain a Tribe Member.
You will also receive the Boho Berry Newsletter every Friday -- chock full of motivation, inspiration, updates and more!
Kara Benz is the artist and author behind Boho Berry, where she inspires her readers to lead a more centered, fulfilled, and inspired life. Kara also runs a successful sticker shop on Etsy – Boho Berry Paperie.